Community

Natsume's Community Forums  

Go Back   Natsume's Community Forums > Natsume > Non-Natsume Games

Old 01-12-2016, 05:20 AM   #1
Blu Cup
Super Moderator

Default Story of Seasons: Good Friends of Three Towns Announced [3DS, 20th Anniversary]

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/01/12...announced-3ds/

Yep, you heard it and I called. Marvelous announced this morning (via Famitsu) that a new Bokujou Monogatari/Story of Seasons game is coming to Japan in early summer. We should be getting direct feed screenshots and a short trailer soon.

So far it looks as if they're reusing the engine and graphical style that started with A New Beginning.

Man 2016 is great if you're into farming sims: So far we have Stardew Valley, Harvest Moon: Seeds of Memories and now this.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #2
SakuraMota
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to SakuraMota

I admit, I need more info before I'll be excited for this one. The 3 town thing makes me nervous for a retread of ToTT (now with 50% more town!), which I really disliked. I was not a fan of splitting the work and villagers between the two and hated how unbalanced it was. The imbalance was, of course, the crux of the game, but it was a crux I didn't like. So if this is in a similar vein, I won't be happy. I also worry that once again they'll cram a billion features in rather than focusing the gameplay. BokuMono has been very stressful to play the past few iterations, what with crafting, treats, special shipping unlocks and the like. I really wish Marvelous would fix some of this stuff and maybe simplify a little.

I don't mean to sound negative, as I know I will purchase the game (I have a collection to maintain), but BokuMono just has some things that concern me, and the 3 town thing just rings "Oh no it's ToTT all over again" alarm bells in my head. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

SakuMo Plays Stuff
3DS FC: 5112-3585-0203
SakuMo Makes Stuff
SakuraMota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #3
Peony
Junior Farmer

I've been straying away with the BokuMono/SoS series because it bores me now, but I got curious when they announced this. I don't like how the protagonists look like in default, they look too young. I wonder if they're gonna stick to character customization or the protagonists will age like AWL.

So, yeah, I'm thinking that it's going to be like ToTT all over again with the multiple towns thing (and this time it's 3 different towns! Not 2 different towns! Totally different!) and shares the same engine as ANB and SoS (not a fan of the graphics of both games, unfortunately). The three towns: one is tropical, one is western, and one is swampy? That's what I understand from looking at the scan's pictures.
This game hasn't hit my interest to 50% yet, so it depends whether I should look forward to the updates or not. Most likely the latter.
Peony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:52 AM   #4
Arcy
Junior Farmer

The official website is now live! (Japanese only.)

http://www.bokumono.com/series/tomodachi/
Arcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #5
ladybug_02
Junior Farmer

I can't wait for the game to come out!
ladybug_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #6
SakuraMota
Super Moderator

I think I'm a terrible person, because I have this paid off just for the cappy plush. I was going to wait for my birthday in July to get it, but then they exploited my weakness. So I'm getting it, but it is going on the shelf. Next week is all about Zelda and the Switch for me.

SakuMo Plays Stuff
SakuMo Makes Stuff
Old 03-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #7
Blu Cup
Super Moderator

After 22 hours and barely making it through the first autumn, I've shelved the game. The three towns idea was stupidly executed; The game world is completely incoherent with the three themes being radically different from each other yet being within close proximity of each other. Top that off with the wonky weather system that makes NO sense and the lame characters and increasingly ugly in-game graphics.

I'll be looking at their next game critically, Switch or not. Marvelous has really lost their touch and I hope with the advent of Stardew Valley and all that it brought back to the table that they take a good long hard look at that, because I will not be touching another Story of Seasons game if it continues down the same path it's on currently.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #8
SakuraMota
Super Moderator

This game feels pretty archaic both in systems and in scope in a post-Stardew Valley world. The lack of same sex options, the way the customization and tool system is done just turned me off in a lot of ways. I'm in Summer and just feeling very "meh" about it. The weather being different in each town when they are so close together makes no sense. This one feels much more like a "fantasy," but it really just pulls me out of the experience. Add in that I'm not really digging any of the characters, and I'm starting to think I just won't get married in this one, if I play it extensively at all. Something about how the gender roles are enforced really bugs me, too, especially how they were handled in Stardew or heck, even Natsume's Skytree Village (Dean being your flower person is a really nice subversion, as well as Jeanne being the doctor). This is a problem in Japanese culture as well, from what I understand, and it was just really off-putting for me. They continue to ignore the feature-glut problem as well. It feels like Marvelous doesn't care to address the problems their series has developed and just keep making new ones. I have to wonder if this is a uniquely Western ideals problem, or if the Japanese fans are frustrated with the series at all.

Also, why does the Large Barn take up a 3x3 space??? That is so unnecessarily huge.

SakuMo Plays Stuff
SakuMo Makes Stuff