Community

Natsume's Community Forums  
Old 01-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
murasaki
Junior Farmer

Default Storm destruction RNG percentage

What did your devs decide was the right percentage of crop destruction from a storm/blizzard/fog day?

Cuz 80~90% destroyed is a ridiculous number when I used Rowan and fertilized Everything before the storm and during it. If I didn't I'm sure it would be 100% destroyed. It's really disheartening when you're trying to mutate crops and end up with 48 out of 50, so you have to wait another year.

Do you think this game mechanic makes this game "more fun" for the player? Is the number of players who throw this game in the corner from a bad storm day is acceptable to you as a company?

Storms and bad weather happen IRL but for a fantasy game that we're playing as an escape, the level of angry/mad/sad is not a condition you'd want your players to endure.

Please rethink the game mechanics that infuriate your players.

Either take out the bad weather effects on the crops or make it a more reasonable percentage - like 10~20% that you can recover from (if you prepared for the weather) please.

Last edited by murasaki; 01-02-2017 at 12:23 PM.
murasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
SakuraMota
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to SakuraMota

I think part of the problem is storm days can stack. My first Spring post-story, I had 4 fog days in the first 5 days, 3 of which were in a row. I pretty much couldn't start planting until the 6th. Weather algorithms need serious tweaking, and the number of storm days needs to be reduced to 2 maximum. Storms should not be allowed to stack, and regular snow days should not hurt your crops, period.

Currently Playing
3DS FC: 5112-3585-0203
My Artistic Stuff Tumblr
SakuraMota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
ChaosAzeroth
Junior Farmer

I threw mine aside in like...Pure despair after my first winter started with THREE storms. That's right, it could have been even more but I quit. ((People on Fogu have seen this lol))

Winter is the worst since EVERYTHING about Winter seems to kill plants.
ChaosAzeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:29 PM   #4
murasaki
Junior Farmer

Sweet corn doesn't mutate to yellow corn in snow. Even fertilizing daily. Pretty disheartening.

Crossing my fingers for the teardrop onions.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
CeeCee
Natsume Community Manager

It's not a percentage of plants destroyed. It's based on a plant's health. Storms damage a crop's health and if it's reduced below zero, the crop withers and dies. Based on feedback, we're looking at adjusting the storms. When I have more info, I'll be sure to pass it along.
CeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #6
SakuraMota
Super Moderator

I'm just glad it's not just me. During my early play before launch, I lost ~200 crops to back to back storms that were sandwiched by snow. I had absolutely no way to recover. I thought maybe I just had bad luck, but now I'm seeing my bad luck is actually somewhat common.

Currently Playing
My Artistic Stuff Tumblr
Old 01-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
murasaki
Junior Farmer

Thanks for listening to us. Winter is especially brutal in this game since snow isn't just white blobs of rain - it actually damages the health, like Chaos said. You have to save scum for sunny/overcast until you get some mutations harvested then let it all go to hell.

Fall was nasty enough with the ridiculous FOG plus storms. Never got enough giant pumpkins to unlock the seeds, Again.

It's all a bit too much to deal with. Some adversity in video game is part of the design (character can't kill the boss until she goes and upgrades her gear, etc.) but in a FARMING GAME, yeah...not necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeCee View Post
It's not a percentage of plants destroyed. It's based on a plant's health.
I know that's how it was in TLV too but I don't understand why in a field of 99, like 15 would survive the storm when they were all planted, fertilized, watered the same. Why would individual plants be "stronger" and survive? There's RNG involved, isn't there?

Last edited by murasaki; 01-03-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
CeeCee
Natsume Community Manager

Yes. Storms randomly do a certain amount of damage to each plant within a set of numbers.
CeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #9
murasaki
Junior Farmer

In that case, the seeds should unlock once you discover a mutation, not a sell count (which is messed up since there's no regrowing plants now).

Then you can work with a smaller field of crops for mutations instead of trying to fertilize 200 of them daily. >_<

Like I need white peppers for Jeanne's request from last year (big mistake accepting that request). I have to wait for next spring to try to unlock magic peppers - since I finally unlocked bell peppers - then plant those next winter to mutate white peppers. A year+ to complete one request. /bah

The "Make Everyone Happy" mission statement isn't working out too well with your dedicated HM players (since small kid time!). I'm pretty unhappy with my 4th winter mess.

Last edited by murasaki; 01-05-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:46 PM   #10
SakuraMota
Super Moderator

Bless you, Based Natsume, for fixing weather. I can go back to Winter now.

Currently Playing
My Artistic Stuff Tumblr